Sample configurations of quartic interaction field theories generated using normalizing flows for Independence Monte Carlo
- I am a PhD student at New York University, working with Kyle Cranmer and Yann LeCun, as well as some folks at the Flatiron Institute's Center for Computational Quantum Physics (CCQ).
- Previously, I was a graduate fellow at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics thinking about quantum stuff (fields, many-body systems) and machine learning.
- I completed my MPhil in Physics at the University of Cambridge in 2018 and my A.B. in Physics and History at Harvard University in 2017.
What have I been up to
- 01/2019: Here is a blog post overview of recent advances in generative modeling that physicists care about as well as a link to a corresponding talk at KITP
11/2018: Here is a copy of my master's thesis.
- A brief and simplified overview of the work can be found here.
- 11/2018: Slides for work on independence enforcement in latent spaces of autoencoders can be found here.
Hyperlinks & contact
Excerpt from David and Stephanie Lewis' 1969 essay, Argle and Bargle argue over a hole in a piece of Gruyère cheese or: black hole information boundary
"Bargle: How can something utterly devoid of matter be made of matter?
Argle: You’re looking for the matter in the wrong place. (I mean to say, that’s what you would be doing if there were any such things as places, which there aren’t.) The matter isn’t inside the hole. It would be absurd to say it was: nobody wants to say that holes are inside themselves. The matter surrounds the hole. The lining of a hole, you agree, is a material object. For every hole there is a hole-lining; for every hole-lining there is a hole. I say the hole-lining is the hole.
Bargle: Didn’t you say that the hole-lining surrounds the hole? Things don’t surround themselves.
Argle: Holes do. In my language, ‘surrounds’ said of a hole (described as such) means ‘is identical with’. ‘Surrounds’ said of other things means just what you think it means.
Bargle: Doesn’t it bother you that your dictionary must have two entries under ‘surrounds’ where mine has only one?"